Saturday 17 September 2011

Analysing a music video – Relevance of music/lyrics to the video content: Maroon 5's 'She Will Be Loved'



As a start to my media work towards creating my own music video, I decided to analyse a film clip and look at how the music video has been made to match or relate to the music and lyrics.
I have analysed the music video of Maroon 5’s – ‘She Will Be Loved’ because I believe it is the perfect example of how the music video has been made to fit the song/lyrics and create a story.
This particular would be a 'Narrative' and 'Performance' video, as it involves a storyline as well as including the band performance within the story.

The storyline is easy to understand as it has been created very well around the song its belf. The video is based on the male character, the lead singer of the band in real life, who has a love affair on his current girlfriend with her own un-loved and neglected mother.
The video has a strong connection with the lyrics (below) as the films shot have been put together well to put across the story in a comprehendable way.
The 'faded montage' of the three main characters in this music video (the lead singer, his girfriend and the girlfriends mum) gives the viewer an idea of what the video may be about and what to focus on when watching the video. The opening line/lyric of the song 'Beauty queen of only 18 she had some trouble with herself' relates to the clips of the man with his young girlfriend and creates the idea to the viewer that the lyrics have a definite relation to the content. He then turns his attention to his girlfiends mum who is neglected and ignored by her husband/partner and tries to get attention from the other men by the poolside. The shot reverse shots used make this clear to the viewer that theres some sort of connection or understanding between the male character and the mum.
Various 'quick cuts' of the male finding the mum on the floor and footage of the mum having an arguement with her partner makes it clear to whats happening in the story - but then it soon get complicated when the male and the girfriends mother kiss!
The shots of the mum sitting in her car at night watching the couple through the window relates to the later lyric 'I know where you hide, alone in your car' and shows her slight obsession to the male. Its obvious theres a vicious love triangle going on.
Typical performance shots of the band in the bar, such as wide shots of the whole band playing, close ups of each individual band member and their instruments, makes the video more interesting and has a good link with them being a band in real life but also connecting to the storyline.
The shots of the lead singer gazing at his current girlfriend watching him perform in the bar, to suddenly being viewed as her mother by the male, shows that he's still thinking about her. The lyric mentioned at this moment being 'look for the girl with the broken smile' highlights the point that he cares for the mother and her needs. The same effect is made when hes dancing with his girlfriend - to then him being seen dancing with the mother.
Towards the end of the music video, it's easy to see that the mum get frustrated seeing her secret love enjoying himself with his girlfriend bothers and see's herself in a unhappy situation. The lyric 'I want to make you feel beautiful’ shows his care towards the neglected mother in the story and that he wants to make her feel loved and deserved. Quick-cuts of the footage previously shown throughout the video gathers up all of the thoughts going through eachothers minds as they look eachother. As the wide shot shows her running down the path towards a fountain, the male runs after her and his girfriend follows to see them both. A shallow focus of the couple looking at eachother and showing the girl inbetween them shows the complexity of the situation and the alienation she must be feeling. The extreme close-ups of each of the characters eyes shows the intensity between them.

I have analysd and looked at the different shots, angles and effects have been used in this music video and has helped me to think about the types of things I will have to consider when finally making my own promotional video for a song.
I believe this particular music video has a very good connection with the lyrics because it puts across an easily understood storyline, and it is a very effective way of promoting the song.

She Will Be Loved:

"Beauty queen of only eighteen
She had some trouble with herself
He was always there to help her
She always belonged to someone else

I drove for miles and miles
And wound up at your door
I've had you so many times but somehow
I want more

I don't mind spending everyday
Out on your corner in the pouring rain
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved
She will be loved

Tap on my window knock on my door
I want to make you feel beautiful
I know I tend to get so insecure
It doesn't matter anymore

It's not always rainbows and butterflies
It's compromise that moves us along, yeah
My heart is full and my door's always open
You can come anytime you want

I don't mind spending everyday
Out on your corner in the pouring rain
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved
And she will be loved
And she will be loved
And she will be loved

I know where you hide
Alone in your car
Know all of the things that make you who you are
I know that goodbye means nothing at all
Comes back and begs me to catch her every time she falls

Tap on my window knock on my door
I want to make you feel beautiful

I don't mind spending everyday
Out on your corner in the pouring rain
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
And she will be loved
And she will be loved
And she will be loved
And she will be loved

[in the background]
Please don't try so hard to say goodbye
Please don't try so hard to say goodbye

Yeah
I don't mind spending everyday
Out on your corner in the pouring rain

Try so hard to say goodbye"

No comments:

Post a Comment